[THIN] Re: OT: AD across Wide Area

  • From: "TheThin" <TheThin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:36:55 -0500

If you can't afford a DC at each branch (we have several vpn locations
with 2 users in them).  You can get away without a DC to authenticate to
locally.  All the modern workstation OSes from NT4 up, keep a cached
profile of the last user logged on that includes their password.  So
user bob should be able to log into his machine if the link is down he
just won't get a log on script or any network drives.  Bob wouldn't be
able to log into Sally's workstation however if the link was down.
Depending on your users this might be acceptable, if not push to put a
DC at the location!