[THIN] Re: OT: 2003 R2 License Info

  • From: "Steve Snyder" <kwajalein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 10:32:11 +1200

I really expected to see verbiage stating something like this only applies
to M$ Virtual Server, but it doesn't seem to be restricted at all.

Excerpt from the white paper:

Microsoft is also introducing expanded use rights for licenses for Windows
Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition and SQL Server 2005. These expanded use
rights are summarized in the following table. They apply only to licenses
for the specific editions described. They do not apply to licenses for
previous versions of these products.[1] <#_ftn1>

*Products Impacted*

*Expanded Use Rights*

Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition

·         Each software license allows you to run, at any one time, one
instance of the server software in a physical OS environment and up to four
instances of the server software in virtual OS environments on a particular
server.

SQL Server 2005 (licensed Server/CAL) Workgroup Edition, Standard Edition
and Enterprise Edition

·         Each software license allows you to run any number of instances of
the server software in one physical or virtual OS environment on a
particular server at a time.

[1] <#_ftnref1> Microsoft volume licensing customers can also exercise their
*downgrade rights* to run prior versions of the software in place of
instances of the current version. For example, for any instance of Windows
Server 2003 R2 that you can run on a server under a Windows Server 2003 R2
Enterprise Edition license, you can instead choose to run an instance of a
prior version such as Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2000, or Windows
NT.

On 8/4/06, Angus Macdonald <Angus.Macdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Given that the page is called "What's new in Windows server 2003 R2" I'd guess it doesn't apply to the original release. Interesting though.