[THIN] Re: OST Files

  • From: "Evan Mann" <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:43:13 -0400

I only have a small number of mobile uses on Citrix.  Prior to this,
they used Outlook 2003 with RPC over HTTP (as I use for every fat client
outside my corporate office).  RPC over HTTP, when combined with cached
mode, is almost as good, if not better at times, then using Citrix (in
my opinion).  With cached mode, there is no delay in opening e-mails,
but without it, there is delay based on bandwith.  Cached mode means
your e-mail is delayed slightly for incoming/outgoing, but we're talking
< 1 minute even in the worst case scenarios from my experience.

Now, having said that, I tell my mobile uses that use Citrix to never
use their local Outlook.  Ok, so there are a few times we tell them they
might want to use it, primarily if they are on an airplane, or need to
lookup info.  This is still an issue, because, if they never open it to
let their cache update, the info they may be looking for is not there.

In reality, of the few mobile users I have, only 1 or 2 of them would
even use their laptop in an offline mode for Outlook.  Those 1 or 2
people are smart enough to understand that they need to let their local
Outlook update the cache, and if they compose mail in it when offline,
they need to let it send that mail when they get a connection again.

What's my point?  I think you'll find that if you got the straight and
narrow out of your mobile users, you'll find 99% of them don't use their
e-mail when they don't have an internet connection, thus they don't take
advantage of an offline/cached mode in the first place, and it's not an
issue.