[THIN] ODBC/bound vs. SQL Procs/unbound with SQL back-end

  • From: "Toby Bierly" <toby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:03:39 -0800

Perhaps a little OT, but I would love to have some feedback on the pros and
cons, from a networking perspective, of using ODBC/bound forms vs. SQL Stored
Procedures/unbound forms when you are using Access as a front-end and a SQL
Server back-end.

Is the unbound route superior to just linking the SQL tables via ODBC and
creating bound forms in Access?  I am working on a database that will be used
by 50-100 users once fully rolled out.  All the users log onto a TS to use the
Access front-end.  The data sits on a seperate SQL Server.  I know there are
some advantages when using Stored Procedures, such as less data needing to be
transmitted over the network with Select queries.  Or if you had multiple
different versions of front-ends that wrote to the same table, you could help
ensure table integrity by providing Stored Procedures to Insert/Update data in
the table, especially if any writes to that table require corresponding writes
in another table (Transactions).  But in this case, it is just one front-end
being programmed by one person (me), and getting functionality added sooner
rather than later is a priority.

This is especially true with some existing databases with 30+ forms that are
all bound forms that my client wants added/integrated into the current database
that has all unbound forms. I'm thinking I could Upsize the tables, and for the
most part copy in all the queries, bound forms, and bound reports, as well as
code from those databases fairly quickly compared to totally rewriting the
entire database if I had to convert everything to unbound forms.

One other question.  Currently the database front-ends are stored on the TS.
My client would like to move them to another server with more space.  How much
additional network traffic would it create to have the users logging onto TS to
open an Access front-end stored on a 2nd Server that is pulling data from 3rd
(SQL) Server, as opposed to the front-ends being stored directly on the TS?  Or
would it not really make any difference.

All thoughts and feedback appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Toby