[THIN] No errors, but hugely degraded service

  • From: "Joe Mulhall" <Joe.Mulhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:24:57 +0000

Hi,

This problem is getting hard to pin down.

I'll start by describing events, as there are no error messages at present, but
launching apps is taking a huge amount of time ~10-15 minutes after clicking
the icon on the NFuse applications page.

Users were getting a http 504 error, so I checked the NFuse server - the login
page was not loading.  Tried to restart the IIS (4.0 on NT) service, but the
service failed to stop properly and trying to start it failed.  So as I have
other services running on that server, I checked one of the Citrix servers - it
wasn't responding in any way to anything; TS connection, logging in to the
console, mmc connection to the event log, etc.  I had to power cycle the server.

It came up with no errors, by then I could restart the NFuse server, I logged
on and launched an app at random and things looked rosy.

Then I noticed no other users had logged on some time later.  Now the
application page would appear but it appeared no applications would launch,
this turned out to be they take a very long time and only launch from my second
Citrix server.

I tried disabling log ons to the first Citrix server (CX1), but this didn't
change anything.  There are no error messages in either event log, nor on the
NFuse server.  I've noticed a long Queue length in the NIC information on the
Second Citrix (CX2) server, but this is not the server that wasn't responding.

So to sumarise, apps will slowly launch from CX2, never from CX1 and NFuse
appears to okay.  I've restarted the CSG also on another server, the CMC
launches on CX1 (so I know IMA is okay)...now what?

Thanks for your time,

Joe Mulhall
MCSE, MCP+I, CCSA

Network Engineer