[THIN] Re: New Server: Need advice

  • From: Marco Cortigiani <tuscan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 22:28:26 -0400

Tyfanie,
I am familiar with fs 7.x, do you mean hr 7.57. Version 8 is web based,
and citrix has a good white paper that explain how to configure it on a
citrix server, and the advantages. Basically if I remember correctly you
need to install the browser on your server. Are you running peoplesoft 2
or 3 tiers? In either cases when you are installing peoplesoft you need
to switch the server in install mode and then run pscfg, look for the
workstation tab, I believe. Then select install the workstation and ODBC
driver. The ps configuration need to be customized for this environment,
and for this you need to work really close to a peoplesoft admin. The
main problem is that Peopletool in order to improve performance creates
user's caches on the local machine. If you don't twick this process
you'll end up having multiple users use the same cache with
unpredictable results. If you look at the article that I recommend you
there is a section that go over this issue. To avoid this issues you
have to replace some of the cache settings of the ps config with user
variable like %username%. When we implemented PS on our environment I
wrote a script that each time that the user was starting Peoplesoft,
was parsing a template configuration file and replacing on the fly some
place holder with the userid. After that I was importing the config and
finally launching the application. The script was a little bit complex,
that why I recommend you to look at the doc.
To get Crystal to work you need to copy one of 2 dlls from the Crystal
directory into the c:\winnt\system32, I don't remember the corrent
reason why, but give it a try.
Another recommendation is that you should create silos of peoplesoft
servers. In other words on install FS and HR on the same server. If you
can split the farm, even if they look similar FS and HR are really 2
totally different applications. After you are done with the installation
you'll have to twick the registry.

I have to get going now, but I can continue to help you someother time.

Marco