[THIN] Re: New Microsoft commercial

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thin.ms" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:04:15 -0400

Look,
I am no MS Hater.  I've been one of their biggest cheerleader since dos 2.1,
30 some years ago.  It just REALLY irks me that they are spending this type
of money to try to "improve" their image when really all they need to do is
just engage the vendors and help show them how to write their programs and
drivers work on Vista. Thats all.  Seriously. Thats it. That is ALL they
need to do.

I'm not finding any humor in the fact that I have 750 Vista PC's sitting
here for over a year now that I can't deploy because every time I think I
have a "golden image" another gotcha comes along with Vista that prevents me
from implementation. ONE YEAR!!! I though woohoo, SP1 will come along and
fix my problems. Boy was I wrong.  The bottom line is Vista works great IF
A:) You are not on a domain using roaming or mandatory profiles.  B:) You
are an administrator of your machine. Otherwise the list of incompatabilites
in programs and drivers is sickening. Blame it all you want on 3rd party
vendors, but it is Microsoft's problem.  And Bill Gates adjusting his shorts
or doing the robot no matter how funny you find it, is not going to change
peoples opinion of Microsoft when they have a computer in front of them
causing maddening issues.

If this continues, no matter how bad they may be, I will be considering Macs
or Linux for our next purchase, at least I know the programs I need to put
on the local desktop on them will run. I can run the rest from Citrix.

Jim

Jim Kenzig
Blog: http://www.techblink.com