[THIN] Re: New Guy

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 14:42:04 +0100

Hey Joe - don't think I'm being critical of the suggestion - I'm merely
thinking with a long view.

External people may just be able to see request and technical
functionality. But rarely in the real world, can solutions afford to be
so narrow - that's all I'm saying. Yes you answered what was asked - and
I'm not critical of that.

When I've had to design / devise printing solutions, there have been
times when I could just go with the thin client, narrow view - and on
occasion, I could afford to sit back and say "Does what you asked."

But the more challenging and better thought out solutions have been when
I've had to consider all the client possibilities - or rationales that
can cope with either.

Whatever I've designed or deployed, I've had to live with, adapt,
maintain and (perhaps reluctantly) support. With that in mind, there's
normally some degree of flexibility or future scope embedded or
exploitable.

Now as I said - if all you've got to cope with is Citrix seats, and you
can be sure that that's all she wrote - then that approach is just
peachy. But if it's the thin edge of the wedge, or merely one nut to
crack, you really need to consider other asides. I'm not talking about
over-engineering - or making anything more complex than necessary -
merely consideration and adaptability, and having a thought about
whether things will simply end there, or whether somebody is gonna tap
you on the shoulder in the near future.

Neil

This email and its attachments are confidential and are intended for the above
named recipient only. If this has come to you in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email from your system. You must take no
action based on this, nor must you copy or disclose it or any part of its
contents to any person or organisation. Statements and opinions contained in
this email may not necessarily represent those of Littlewoods Shop Direct Group
Limited or its subsidiaries. Please note that email communications may be
monitored. The registered office of Littlewoods Shop Direct Group Limited is
1st Floor, Skyways House, Speke Road, Speke, Liverpool, L70 1AB, registered
number 5059352

www.blackspider.com
SBC SITES ONLY GOOGLE SEARCH: http://www.F1U.com