[THIN] Re: Need help on consolidating servers

  • From: "Bray, Donovan (ESC)" <BrayD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 13:51:26 -0800

With Windows 2000 the concept of PDC/BDC is gone.  You have Directory
Controllers with FMSO's, Directory Controllers, and Member Servers.

You can install everything and it's brother on a single machine.  I have a
web development machine at home that is a Directory Controller with all
FMSO's, fileshares, apache with PHP and IIS web services, as well as mysql
and msde database engines. (I assign multiple IP's to a single nic, and
point my workstation to this servers DNS server) all on a 1gb Celeron 500.

If you want to get fancy then you can install a single headed MSCS Cluster
to handle name virtualization, you just need to have two partitions. One for
the local quorum, one as a disk resource. Then you can take all of your
servers that you are consolodating move them onto a single machine, and
still reference everything with their original name (or not, up to you).

The last part of what you talking about is actually server virtualization
(v.s. name virtualization which is what MSCS does). Which your going to need
to shell out extra cash for something Like VMWARE, (If its just one or two,
you could probably do workstation), GSX server would be the next step (way
more cash than 3 separate servers).

There is that Zen virtualization package just announced, but I haven't
played with it, and doubt it will be trivial to install.

IMO, for cheap almost virtualization (Since you already own the Enterprise
Version), I would recommend the single headed MSCS cluster.  Run all your
apps on the box, let the OS sort them out.

FYI if you are installing an Enterprise CA, make sure IIS is installed
first, so that the CA Web pages get installed correctly. You can't just add
the CA webpages after you install the CA, then Install IIS.  You have to
uninstall the CA, install IIS, then re-install the CA.

Good Luck.

  _____