[THIN] Re: Need help creating ADM files using a Policy Editor

  • From: "Jeff Durbin" <techlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:37:50 +1300

I've done a bunch of it, and the only resource I ever found was MSKB 225087:
Writing Custom ADM Files for System Policy Editor at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q225087.
  One thing that may simplify it for you is removing the string references.
Within the policy, you'll see a bunch of references that start with two
exclamation marks (!!), like this:

CATEGORY !!DiskQuota

  That's a reference to a string that comes at the end of the ADM file. For
the string above, for example, you'll see this at the end of the ADM file:

DiskQuota="Disk Quotas"

  I guess they did that so you didn't have to put long strings in the middle
of the ADM file, but I found that it's a whole lot easier to read/edit the
ADM files if you have the literal values throughout the ADM file rather than
referencing them at the end. So, instead of this:

CATEGORY !!DiskQuota

  you'd just put this:

CATEGORY "Disk Quotas"

  Other than that, they're not that tough. Once you figure out how to do
them it gives you way more control, as you can customize your NT4 Policies
and your Group Policies.

Jeff Durbin