[THIN] Re: NFuse (or Web Interface) password changer

  • From: "Paul DeHaan" <wppad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:01:02 -0500

I ran into similar issues on my NFuse 1.6 box a while back.  Not sure if the
new 2.1 version is laid out the same, but I tracked down the .asp page where
the ADSI code was attempting to change the password.  It has been a while, so I
don't remember exactly which .asp page the code was in (email me if you want me
to look).

What I did was add a line of code (after the code attempting to reset the
password) that prompted a msgbox to display what the error was (for testing).
Looked something like:

msgbox "Error #: " & err.number & " Error Description: " err.description

I then tried a few things that I new wouldn't work (ie. access denied, doesn't
meet policy, etc) to find out what errors it would produce.  After finding the
error numbers (something like -2147358896), I created a select statement that
gave the user a more descriptive/friendly message if the err number matches
something I know.

It sure was the long way to do this, but I didn't find any docs on this
elsewhere.  If 2.1 is still using ADSI code that is accessible to change
passwords, you should be able to modify the code yourself.

Regards,

Paul DeHaan CCNA, CCA...
Network Administrator
J.M. Huber Corp.

------------>
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers."

>>> Jeff.Gunn@xxxxxxx 11/10/03 11:11AM >>>
Hey all -
I'm trying to get the built-in password changer working for Web Interface
2.1. The web interface box is my 2003 test machine, which is a front end for
my test farm of 2000 servers. They authenticate to an NT4 domain.
Anyway, I set the option in the Nfuse.conf to turn on the password reset
features ("AllowUserPasswordChange=always") and the password changer button
appears. However, when I attempt to change the password on my test ID, it
gives me this very helpful error:
"ERROR: The change password operation failed"
Which doesn't really help much in terms of troubleshooting. This ID does
have the right to change it's own password. Also, since the machine is in a
test domain, I made sure I was logged in with a user in that test domain -
just in case some kind of trust issue was to blame. I've also checked the
even log on the web interface server. Can anyone suggest a way to get more
detail on what the problem is, or can anyone point out anything obvious I've
missed?
Thanks in advance,

> Jeff Gunn
> FISG - Infrastructure Services Group