[THIN] NFuse and DNS Name Resolution

  • From: "Guyette, Lance" <LGuyette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:46:06 -0500

I know this topic has been around for a while.  But, I would like to through
our issue out there.

We have a 9 server farm.  We upgraded 8 servers to Win2000 and Metaframe XP
FR1.  We had one server we could not upgrade for a while and it was left on
NT and Metaframe 1.8.  We were running in mixed mode.

In XP we had the DNS name resolution turned on for the farm.  We set the
altaddr on all the XP servers to the DNS name.  To our surprise NFuse worked
both inside and outside having altaddr set to the DNS name (we have external
and internal DNS).

Template.ica
Address=[NFuse_IPV4AddressAlternate]

nfuse.conf (Did not matter what we had these set to)
AddressResolutionType=DNS
AlternateAddress=ON

When we finally upgraded the last server to Win2000 and XP we turned off
mixed mode and went to native mode.  The DNS name resolution quit working?
No matter what we changed, if the altaddr was set to the DNS name neither
the internal or external would work.  We set it to the outside address and
all external worked fine, internal would not work, or course.

Does anyone know why this would have worked in mixed mode, and not in native
mode?  And better yet, how to get the DNS name resolution to work again?

Thanks,