[THIN] Re: NDS and Zenworks

  • From: David Sánchez-Mariscal Molina <dsanchez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 08:50:40 +0100

Now, we work over a pilot that works fine.

4 servers windows 2000 Sp3 with MTF FR2

1 Novell 6 SP2

120 Thin clients

To work with NDS & citrix and no NT domain, we need Zenworks and DLU=20

policy working.

All citrix servers need Novell client 4.83.

DLU policy working over this servers in Zenworks.

Users Terminal Server profile configure in Zenworks.

Nfuse configuring for authenticate over NDS, tree & context.

With this components, the farm works fine, such the integration with=20

Active directory or NT Domain. the only issue was that users in NDS=20

was created dinamically in all servers, but use a roaming profile in=20

a public share in Novell or NT Server. The printes, was accesed with=20

iprint and all drivers was installed in the 4 MTF servers.

When we implement this solution, i no found doc's, white papers with=20

this solutions, but after a week of problems, we validate this=20

solution.=20

I hope this information will help you.

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On =
=3D
=3D3D
Behalf Of Tony Lyne (Computerland)
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 1:49 PM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The idea of Zen is good but in practice it simply doesn't stack up. As =
=3D
=3D3D
=3D3D3D3D3D mentioned in a previous email we have done projects with =
pure =3D
=3D3D
Zen and =3D3D3D3D3D NDS no NT domains on large govt bodies and it has =
been =3D
=3D3D
frustrating.

Were finding that a large number of our clients are looking at dropping =
=3D
=3D3D
=3D3D3D3D3D Netware and Zen, and looking at going to Win2k/ad as it all =
=3D
=3D3D
integrates =3D3D3D3D3D much better and costs less to maintain.

On top of that I haven't found any of our clients who are satisfied =
with =3D
=3D3D
=3D3D3D3D3D the support that Novell offer. It is to say at best =3D
Pathetic!!!

Everything that Zen offers can be achieved with tools and add-ons like =
=3D
=3D3D
=3D3D3D3D3D AD and Altiris at a fraction of the overhead.

Tony Lyne
Senior Systems Engineer=3D3D3D3D3D20
Computerland Central=3D3D3D3D3D20
P O Box 1470=3D3D3D3D3D20
PALMERSTON NORTH
Telephone (+64) 06 3537300
Facsimile (+64) 06 3566800
Mobile (+64) 0274 720696
E-mail Tony.Lyne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Internet http://www.computerland.co.nz
CAUTION: This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain =
=3D3D3D3D3D =3D
=3D3D
information that is confidential and subject to privilege. If you are =
=3D
=3D3D
=3D3D3D3D3D not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, =
=3D3D
=3D3D3D3D3D dissemination, distribution or copying of this message or =
data =3D
=3D3D
is =3D3D3D3D3D prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, =
=3D
please =3D3D
notify me =3D3D3D3D3D immediately and delete all material pertaining to =
=3D
this =3D3D
e-mail. Thank =3D3D3D3D3D you. =3D3D3D3D3DA0

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On =
=3D
=3D3D
=3D3D3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D3D3D Behalf Of Chris Lynch
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 11:15
To: 'Charlie Fraser'
Cc: TheThin. net

=3D3D3D3D3D3D20

If your desktop group wants a good application to push out software, =
=3D3D
=3D3D3D3D then look at Intel LanDesk 6.2.  There are other apps out =
there =3D
=3D3D
that =3D3D3D3D work ALOT better than ZenWorks (Zen it is not).  I know =
=3D
that =3D3D
there is =3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D Marimba, and someone made a mention of =
another =3D
=3D3D
application that will =3D3D3D3D push out software (I believe the topic =
was =3D
=3D3D
pushing software to MetaFrame =3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D servers). =
=3D3D3D3D3D3D20 =3D
Hell, try =3D3D
to manage a Novell box, and it's harder to =3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D manage =
than a =3D
=3D3D
Windows 2000/2003 server.  Also, try to effectively manage =3D3D3D =
=3D3D3D3D =3D
a =3D3D
Novell environment with WMI or VBScript.  Very limited (for very good =
=3D
=3D3D
=3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D reasons). =3D3D3D3D3D3D20 Chris

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On =
=3D
=3D3D
=3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D3D =3D3D3D3D3D3D =
=3D3D3D3D3D3D3D=3D3D3D3D3D3D20 Behalf Of =3D
Charlie =3D3D
Fraser
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 3:02 PM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] NDS and Zenworks

We are considering getting rid of Active Directory in favor of =
=3D3D3D3D =3D
=3D3D
NDS=3D3D3D3D3D3D20 and=3D3D3D3D3D3D3D20 use ZenWorks to manage our =
Citrix =3D
=3D3D
server. =3D3D3D Does =3D3D3D3D anyone run =3D3D3D3D3D =
NDS=3D3D3D3D3D3D20 and =3D3D
or=3D3D3D3D3D3D3D20 Zenworks now? How much =3D3D3D of a =3D3D3D3D pain =
is it =3D
going =3D3D
to be to=3D3D3D3D3D3D20 transition 6=3D3D3D3D3D3D3D20 servers and =
=3D3D3D =3D
about =3D3D
=3D3D3D3D 200 users? Thoughts? Opinions?

Charlie

set Digest or Vacation mode use the below link: =3D
=3D3D3D3D3D3D3D=3D3D3D3D3D3D20 =3D3D
=3D3D3D3D http://thethin.net/citrixlist.cfm

set Digest or Vacation mode use the below link: =3D3D3D3D =3D3D
http://thethin.net/citrixlist.cfm =3D3D3D3D3D3D20

   =3D3D3D3D3D3D20

 =3D3D3D3D3D3D20

- - -- No attachments (even text) are allowed --
- - -- Type: application/octet-stream
- - -- File: PGPexch.rtf.pgp