[THIN] NCE 8 and Context Switching

  • From: "Menicucci, Dan" <dan0@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 09:38:24 -0500

Hello,

I have spent the last few days trying to determine why context
switching/sec has been so high on our Metaframe servers.  When no one is
logged into the servers, the CPU utilization is often zero but the
context switching is consistently between 4,000 and 5,000 per second.
After we get about 10 or 15 people connected, context switching can be
peaking as high as 120,000 with the cpu utilization around 30%.

After looking at pviewer and a couple other things, I found that if I
stop the "Symantec Antivirus Client" (rtvscan.exe) service that my
context switching will drop to around 155/sec when the system is idle.
This is much more acceptable.  We run Norton Corporate Edition 8 on Dell
2650's with dual 2.8's.  Is anyone else running NCE on their Metaframe
servers?  If so, do you see similar numbers?  Is there a better
antivirus product for a terminal server environment?  Because of our
environment we can not run without some type of antivirus protection.

Thanks,
Dan