[THIN] Re: My stupid question of the day... checking the XML status

  • From: "Alexander Danilychev" <teknica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 14:10:58 -0800

OK, "port sharing" is a blunder (as far as terminology goes) on the part of
Citrix marketing (? since documentation is quite good) - Citrix XML DLL does
not "share" port with IIS but runs in a scope of IIS and thus utilizes IIS
communication mechanism together with the port.

There are two ways to run "XML service":
As an ACTUAL SERVICE with its own listener - dedicated port which CAN NOT BE
SHARED is required. If not registered during installation check
%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32 directory and run: Ctxxmlss.exe /uX, where X is a port
number. You can also specify "keep alive" parameter: /kY, where Y is 9 sec
by default. Any changes will require reboot.
If you have IIS and would like to secure Citrix XML traffic, it is easier to
use XML not as a service but as a DLL in IIS scope and use SSL encryption
through IIS. Although most people install XML as DLL by accident, it is much
easier to use it this way versus paring XML service with Citrix Secure Relay
(not to be mistaken with CSG).

So, if IIS is in the mix Citrix XML is not actually a service ? IIS replaces
CTXXMLSS.EXE as the network listener. Check default folder
[Inetpub\scripts]. You should find CTXMLS.TXT, CLM.DLL and WPNBR.DLL. These
DLLs are responsible for communication with IMA or PN service
To unregister the original XML service and switch to IIS scope stop the
service and run ?ctxxmlss.exe /u?

ALEX

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup