[THIN] Re: Multiple servers load set to 10000 at same time

  • From: Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:38:51 +1100

Hi James

Unfortunately we dont use Appsense.  I just had a look at resource manager
report for a server that is currently set to 10000.  There are very little
resources being used.  I have 1 active user and a down session.

Ang

From: scanjam@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: Multiple servers load set to 10000 at same time
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 20:15:26 +1000

Angela,
Do you have an Appsense Performance Manager agent with an active policy
installed on these servers?
James
From: angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 20:16:25 +1100

Hi

Yes, when the server reboots, all is working OK.  Server isn't set to 10000 and
there are no down sessions.  However, issue re-occurs after a few hours.  Issue
is happening on random servers so I don't think its a WMI Issue (very unlikely
that WMI is broken on 6 different servers).  Nothing has changed on our servers
either.

We have a custom Load Evaluator which we have been using for several years
without issue.  It basically checks CPU, Memory and User Load.  Load is
definitely not an issue as the servers only have 15 users on them when the
issue occurs whereas they normally have 40.  I cannot easily check resources as
all GUI tools fail to load.  Task Manager, Perfmon, Sysinternals Process
Explorer etc don't launch. Whats the best way to see what is happening with CPU
and Memory?  Perhaps I can run the tool remotely?  As a test should I change
all servers to the Adv evaluator?

Ive never had any issues with memory.  Each server has 16GB RAM.  In relation
to CPU, Ive had the occasional process go crazy but its never used all cores.
Servers have 2 x Quad core CPU's.  Print Spooler and Antivirus all appears OK
in that the service is started but I'm working blind as I cannot see the
processes due to the tools not launching

Perfmon wont load so I cannot rell is perfmon counters are corrupt

We do have SCOM.  How do I reload the MOF?. Would the MOF generate a ICA down
session?  Every server that goes to 10000 has a down session so its definitely
causing the issue or is related..

Thanks
Ang

CC: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: magnus@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 22:17:55 -0400
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

We notice wmi issues as well, this was do to MOM/SCOM. We had to reload the
mof's to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone
On Oct 17, 2012, at 20:15, Alan Tropper <Alan.Tropper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I have had WMI issues also in the past and had to re-build WMI components as
below:

http://musumeci.blogspot.com.au/2009/01/ms-rebuild-wmi.html

Cheers

Al

De : Jeremy Saunders
 <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

À : thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Envoyé le : Mercredi 17 octobre 2012 10h38

The server thinks it’s at full load. What’s the load evaluator assigned to it?

If Task Manager is not loading, it sounds like perhaps a CPU/memory utilisation
issue, which is effecting the
 load evaluator, which is placing the server at full load.

So what’s the CPU and memory utilisation on the server? Could you have a rouge
service, such as antivirus causing
 problems? What about the print spooler and Citrix print manager services?

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 15:07:23 +1100

Hi

This patch looks promising..  Only issue is I cannot find it.

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX123956

This has been superseded by R07 patch which I dont want to install right now.
Im currently running R06.

Does anyone have hotfix PSE450R05W2K3026 that I can download for x86 systems?

Thanks

Ang

CC:
thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: magnus@xxxxxxxx

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 22:13:30 -0400

To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Check the nonpagepool memory usage in taskmgr. I have seen this usage spike
which was due to an ms
 bug and XTE.exe. Good news there is a fix for it. 936655 I beleive the number
is

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 16, 2012, at 18:10, Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

I think my issue is different.  All user sessions on these servers lock up and
they end up calling the helpdesk to reset them..  I'm getting down sessions on
the same servers each day (even after a reboot)..  I applied CTX112103 but it
didn't make any difference..

Any other ideas apart from rebuilding?

Thanks

Ang

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:48:11 +0100

From: ronnie.hamilton@xxxxxxx

To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Angela,

This does ring a bell and I’m sure I have one server with this patch and made
no difference to me,
 but the csrss.exe process wasn’t showing a high CPU usage for me.

It more just creating error in console Session Down state every few mins. It
only stopped users
 connecting on the very odd ocasion

Regards,

Ronnie

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:25:28 +0100

From: ronnie.hamilton@xxxxxxx

To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Angela,

I get this from time to time, server doesn’t always report full load but
there’s always  a session
 down state, and a reboot usually clears.

I had a look at the following thread but never actually got to the bottom of
it. I am currently
 rebuilding all my server to upgrade to Office 2010 and hoping that the rebuild
does the trick.

http://forums.citrix.com/message.jspa?messageID=1386285#1386285

It’s seems to be going well as all the new builds have not reports the issue,
but one of the pre
 Office 2010 builds did yesterday.

Regards,

Ronnie