[THIN] Re: Multiple apps using the same HKLM with different values...

  • From: "Joe Shonk" <joe.shonk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 19:51:05 -0700

Not sure what Citrix is smoking if they claim that MFPS 4.0 will end
siloing.  I agree that AIE, RTO and the Aurema technology will do wonder for
minimizing the need to this, but for some organization I do not see this
happening.

A few examples as to why siloing would still be required:
        Volatile application
        Different Maintenance Procedures/Processes for different
applications
        Security requirements (This can cover a wide range)
        Different OS Patch level requirements (isolate to minimize risks)
        Project/Department directive (People don't like to share.  The "it's
my server" attitude.  Or "I paid for it")
        Separation of duties (The person supporting financial apps doesn't
need access to clinical apps)
        Vendor supported solutions
        Different Service Level Agreements for different set of applications
        Antiquated licensing schemes dreamed up by vendors

I'm sure there are many others that I haven't mentioned.

Well, in saying that... I would have to say that I think is going in the
right direction with MFPS 4.0.  Let's hope it lives up to the hype and
doesn't end up like Installation Manager or the Universal Print Driver.

Joe