[THIN] Multiple NTP Servers on net time command Failure to work... Need some ideas.

  • From: "Ziots, Edward" <EZiots@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 11:57:45 -0400

To the list,

Has anyone gotten multiple Dns or IP address NTP servers to work on Windows
2000 SP3 via the net time /setsntp command. I am trying to reconfigure about
100 Windows 2000 Servers to talk with tock.usno.navy.mil and if that is
down, talk with tick.usno.navy.mil

So I do the following on my servers.

net time /setsntp:tock.usno.navy.mil,tick.usno.navy.mil  ( command completes
successfully)

when I run w32tm -v -once to debug the output ( i put a false DNS address
called dumb.dumb.org so it should look like the following)

net time /setsntp:dumb.dumb.org,tock.usno.navy.mil,tick.usno.navy.mil
( command complete successfully)

When I run w32tm -v -once, it goes to dumb.dumb.org ( no address, it bombs (
as I expected,) but never fails over to tock.usno.navy.mil, or
tick.usno.navy.mil)

I knew there was a bug in the Windows time service for SP2, but this is SP3
and I did check the Q285641 and I am fine on this server and the others.

Anybody successfully set this up and verified that it does work as expected?

Ed