[THIN] Re: Moving to Roaming Profiles....

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:04:53 -0700

You didn't say what OS you are running so I'll tell you what happened to
us.  When we switched, users would get all sorts of "Access Denied" errors
when it came time to logging out or logging back in.  Turns out W2K with
SP2 has a problem when using roaming profiles.  Every error I got was in
Technet and the resolution was to wipe out all the profiles, apply SP3, and
then have the users re-create them on login.  Now they work.

One other side-effect is that some of my Citrix users also Terminal Service
in to some other servers (they are the local admins of those servers) and
since NT4 domain only has one TS Profile path, guess what they get when
they login in (via RDP) to those other servers?  Yup, they get the roaming
profile.  What is real interesting is that it can be additive.  Example, I
RDP into a server and some process puts icons into my profile.  I log out
and then log  into Metaframe.  The icons from the other server follow me,
but usually show up as the generic box with blue background.  It's caused
some confusion around here, but we are learning.

adam

                      "Steve Rance"

                      <Steve.Rance@dalyinterna        To:       "Thin @
Freelists (E-mail)" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      tional.com>                     cc:

                      Sent by:                        Subject:  [THIN] Moving
to Roaming Profiles....
                      thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                      06/18/2003 03:11 AM

                      Please respond to thin

Hi all,

I am finally moving from a 1 server Citrix farm running XPs, to a 2 =
server farm running XPa.  At the moment the profiles are stored locally =
on the citrix server so I am now investigating roaming profiles as I =
have never used them before and clearly have to go down this route.

I have got it working for a number of test users, but I would welcome =
some feedback, got ya's and best practices from you guys about using =
them in the Citrix environment.

I have concerns about the profiles getting too big, and have already =
looked at redirecting My Documents and the Desktop Folder from their =
profile.  I would also would like some feedback on what you have done =
with temporary internet files.

Thanks,

Steve

This weeks sponsor - RTOSoft TScale