[THIN] Moving a Win 2012 RDS License server

  • From: Michael Leone <oozerdude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ntsysadm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 11:50:27 -0500

I activated a Win 2012 RDS licensing server on a testing box. Now I
need to move that license server to a production box. (I can't
guarantee that the testing box will stay around forever). All the MS
documentation I've found is for Win 2008 R2. It states to activate the
new server, then migrate the CALs over. Of course, the command to do
that doesn't exist in 2012 apparently.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd851591.aspx
Migrate Remote Desktop Services Client Access Licenses by Using the
Automatic Connection Method

"To open Remote Desktop Licensing Manager, click Start, point to
Administrative Tools, point to Remote Desktop Services, and then click
Remote Desktop Licensing Manager."

(this is the biggest problem I have with 2012 - almost all of the MS
documentation that I search applies to 2008 R2, and is not applicable
to 2012)

Then, after the CALs are migrated, de-activate the old server, and
uninstall that feature.

Does anyone have a link to a step-by-step on how to move from one
server to another, but using 2012? I haven't found one yet, and I need
to activate the new licensing server within the next few weeks.

Do I just remove the license service on the testing box, and then try
and activate it on the production box? I don't see a way to migrate
licenses at all on the 2012 boxes.