[THIN] Re: Moving Server farm to AD

  • From: "Paul DeHaan" <wppad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 08:23:38 -0400

I just upgraded an NT 4.0 domain to AD last week.  The only change that
I made was to move the licensing server to a Win2k DC as this is
required.  I have three NT 4.0 MF 1.8 servers and two Win2k MF XPe
servers.  There have been no problems bought to my attention having to
do with logging in, policies changing, etc.

NOTE: The only GPO settings that I have enabled at the moment are
domain wide security settings.  Once I decide to restrict a few windows
options for my OU workstations, I will have to move the Terminal Servers
into their own OU and apply a separate GPO there.

HTH,
Paul

P.S. Good luck on the AD upgrade.   Be sure to sync a BDC and take it
off line in case of disaster.  I ran into some issues with the OS
upgrade, such as two HP 8150 PCL 5e drivers were causing the spool
service to crash every five minutes.  After the OS upgrade, Dcpromo
would not upgrade the SAM to AD because it couldn't find the NETLOGON
service.  Well it just so happens that during the upgrade process the
Client for Microsoft Network disappeared.  This removed the workstation
service which means no NETLOGON..!  I would seriously consider imaging
the PDC before upgrade.  I have run through this process many time
before, never a problem...

>>> msf@xxxxxxxxxx 10/10/02 04:57PM >>>

Hello,
I have a server farm consisting of three Servers with load balancing
and
a fourth that is a data store with an MSSQL Database.  All reside in a
Windows NT 4.0 Domain.  I want to move all of them to W2K AD.  Is
there
anything special that needs to be done first?

Out of curiosity, do I need to move all of them? Can Farms and Load
balancing span across different domains.  I have a two-way trust
setup.

All boxes have Windows 2000, Citrix Metaframe Xpa FR2

Thanks
Marc