[THIN] Re: Mixed Windows OS's in 1 farm?

  • From: "Hamilton, Ronnie" <ronnie.hamilton@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 09:38:24 +0100

Ang,

I did look at doing this but after reading the article it looks like its
supported only during a migration phase or you need to be careful when
managing settings for each server version.

Ronnie

Mixed farm. Mixed mode is not recommended by Citrix because of known and
potential issues. For example, because XenApp 5 for Windows Server 2003
does not incorporate Preferential Load Balancing, all sessions are
granted the same mid-range preference, whereas servers based on XenApp 5
for Windows Server 2008 can be configured to provide a range of
preferences. Not all mixed mode scenarios can be tested, and so it is
possible that an undesired impact will occur. If mixed mode is required,
it should be used for the shortest reasonable period of time. Mixed mode
requires that the administration of each version is performed by the
respective consoles released with that version. As an example, if a farm
consists of servers based on XenApp 5 for Windows Server 2003 and XenApp
5 for Windows Server 2008, a distinct set of consoles is required for
administration because the configuration options differ for each
version. This may add to the complexity of administering a server farm.
Where HRP3 is installed on the XenApp 5 for Windows Server 2003 servers,
this must be based on the installation order defined in the XenApp for
Windows Server 2003 section. Where a mixed farm exists, a XenApp 5 for
Windows Server 2003 server that has HRP3 installed should be designated
with Data Collector functionality.

http://www.thessi.com/citrix/xen/pdf/Technical_Guide_for_Upgrading_or_Mi
grating_to_XenApp_5_10-23.pdf