[THIN] Re: Migrate SQL Datastore to another SQL Server

  • From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 12:04:24 -0000

Angela,

The dsn file can be very simple :

[ODBC]

DRIVER=SQL Server

UID=(user)

DATABASE=(database)

APP=Citrix IMA

SERVER=(SQL instance)

will work - so the dsn file can be the same for each server

What you can do is copy a script to each server that copies the dsn from a
central location, executes the dsmaint command and restarts the IMA service;
optionally you can get it to dump the reg key and compare

I'd start with your test servers, and once you're happy go on to the farm
starting at the zdcs... in the past I've used psexec with a file containing
the servers to change to run the script.

For the summary database connection server -

1.       Sleep  the summary service

2.       Backup/restore the summary database

3.       Test connection to the new database

4.       Reconfigure the odbc connection on the connection server & test it

5.       Wake the summary service

6.       Do an update

Don't forget to keep the old dsns and have a rollback plan just in case.

a.