[THIN] Re: Microsoft/Softrcity?

  • From: "Douglas A. Brown" <dbrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:33:00 -0400

Tim,

I was hoping you would comment.   I'm also glad you have a vested
interest....  I think that is great!!!

OK, I agree with you on all your points.    I also think this has
NOTHING to do with Citrix and has everything to do with Altiris SVS.
Microsoft hates Altiris and wants them out of the picture as SVS is
getting a lot of airplay and they are also Microsoft's biggest
competitor in the manageably  space.  The other great benefits of
Softricity, such as TS is just a side benefit to Microsoft.

The other thing that is interesting is, Whale... Add Whale with TS07 and
Softricity and you have a nice solution.. Not the best but it is a
start.

I also 100% agree that and have said it for awhile now, Microsoft should
add the server side of SoftGrid to Longhorn and the client part to
Vista, give it away as a feature, like they are doing with Apptimum, and
that would be reason enough to upgrade.  Heck, Microsoft could pay one
billion for it, which they never would, and still make a profit due to
upgrade sales of Vista and Longhorn.

No matter what happens. It is just fun to watch...

Oh, again, I hope you become a millionaire off this too Tim.

Douglas A. Brown

President and Chief Technology Officer

Microsoft MVP, Windows Server

DABCC, Inc.

Phone:     (954) 778-9558

Fax:         (248) 479-0621

E-mail:       dbrown@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:dbrown@xxxxxxxxx>

Web:        http://www.dabcc.com <http://www.dabcc.com/>

________________________________

                        From: "Steve Greenberg" <steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                        With CAG 4.2 you can actually use the same
Citrix license server you use for Presentation Server if you want to. In
this case, it is the standard netbios name of the server, i.e. just the
machine name (you can type hostname at the command line to see this)

                        Alternately, you can upload the license file
into the CAG box itself. In that case you use the value entered is in
the filed called "FQDN" on the network setup screen. When doing this the
licenses, and the cert by the way, are included in the backup file so be
sure to save off the config, this could save you a lot of work if you
ever have a hardware failure or have to rebuild the boxes.

                        If you already have a Citrix licensing server I
recommend using it when you have more than one CAG.

                        Also note that the when you fulfill your license
file from www.mycitrix.com <http://www.mycitrix.com/>  you do have to
provide the license server hostname. However, these licenses can be
returned and reallocated to a different hostname if needed.

                        Regards,

                        Steve Greenberg

                        Thin Client Computing

                        34522 N. Scottsdale Rd D8453