[THIN] Re: Microsoft KB Licensing Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services

  • From: "Beckett, William (Bill)" <WBECKETT@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:06:05 -0400

Love it!

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Greg Reese
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 8:21 AM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: Microsoft KB Licensing Windows Server 2008 Terminal
Services

i haven't had my coffee yet and I am still a little slow, but how do you
"indirectly" access a terminal server?

I keep waiting for them to license anyone who "thinks" about connecting.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:37 AM, Jim Kenzig http://thin.ms
<jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Recently updated:
Licensing Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=
b8a7c6ed-1bc1-4035-9110-1ee6da8f3fd4
Microsoft licensing policies for Windows Server Terminal Services,
including the new components that are included in Windows Server 2008,
require that in addition to a Windows Server Client Access License
(CAL), Microsoft(r) Core CAL Suite, or Microsoft Enterprise CAL Suite,
you must acquire a Windows Server 2008 TS CAL for each user or device
that directly or indirectly accesses the server software to interact
with a remote graphical user interface (using the Windows Server 2008
Terminal Services functionality or other technology).

Jim Kenzig
Blog: http://www.techblink.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/kenzig
Twitter: http://twitter.com/InternetPilot