[THIN] Re: Microsoft Jet database engine error on Windows 2008

  • From: Angela <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 14:55:36 +1100

Hi

Not use how this would help.  The App already resides on a network share. Our
Citrix profiles are all roaming so the profile is on the network just a
different share location.  Users launch MS Access on Citrix then open the DB
from a network share.  I haven't tried to copy the App to the Citrix Server C:
Drive but Id rather not do this if possible.  App works fine from a Windows
2003 Citrix server so cant see why it wouldn't work from a Windows 2008 Citrix
Server.  Main difference apart from OS version is that it moving from 32 bit to
64 bit OS.

Ang

CC: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: magnus@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: Microsoft Jet database engine error on Windows 2008
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 08:12:26 -0500
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had a few applications like this. What I did was copy the front end to the
users profile using an app launch script and ran it from there. It would pull
this front end from the central location every time the app was launched and
over wrote it if it existed in the users profile / home dir. Please note we
ensured that their was no data in the front end, it was an app written in
access that pulled all data from SQL or oracle.
Sent from my iPhone
On Jan 7, 2014, at 5:53, Angela <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

I have a internally built MS Access based front end application that hooks into
SQL Server backend.  The client works fine from Windows 2003 32 bit
Citrix system.  Im trying to get the App to run from a 64 bit Windows 2008
R2 Citrix Server.  I can login to the DB but get the following error:

Microsoft Office Access

The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file xxxxxx.  It is
already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its
data.

Detailed information:

1. The database front end is based on Microsoft Access 2003. MS Access 2003 is
currently running on a Windows 2003
32 bit Citrix server and it works fine which rules out any folder ACL issue

2. The database back-end is running on
Windows 2008 SQL Server

3. The MDB file resides on a central network location

4. The only thing required in the past to get the Application to work is to
create a ODBC SQL connection and install MS Access 2003 on Citrix Server

5. User access is fine as the Application works on the old 32 bit Citrix system

6. IIS is not installed nor is it needed

7. Not a locking issue as I have up to 20 users accessing the DB from the old
Citrix system at any one time.  Application only fails on Windows 2008 64
bit system

The new OS system is Windows 2008 R2 64 bit but the version of MS Access 2003
installed in 32 bit.  Has anyone seen a similar issues?

Thanks
Ang