[THIN] Re: Microsoft Jet database engine error on Windows 2008

  • From: Ben Pelzer <Ben.Pelzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 12:10:18 +0100

Hi Angela,

You mentioned ODBC connections
Have you checked that your application is using the 32bit ones?
On a 64bit system you have 2 ODBC connection ²possibilities²: 32bit and
64bit

64bit:
c:\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe (!)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC

32bit:
c:\Windows\Syswow64\odbcad32.exe (!)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ODBC

The odbcad32.exe really are switched, so watch out for that!

Cheers,
Ben

On 07-01-2014 11:53, "thin-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<thin-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ------------------------------------
>thin Digest    Tue, 07 Jan 2014        Volume: 12  Issue: 204
>
>In This Issue:
>       #1:     From: Angela <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>               Subject: [THIN] Microsoft Jet database engine error on Windows
> 2008

>Msg: #1 in digest
>From: Angela <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [THIN] Microsoft Jet database engine error on Windows 2008
>Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 21:53:36 +1100
>
>Hi
>

>I have a internally built MS Access based front end application that
>hooks into a
>SQL Server backend.  The client works fine from Windows 2003 32 bit
>Citrix system.  Im trying to get the App to run from a 64 bit Windows 2008
>R2 Citrix Server.  I can login to the DB but get the following error:
>

>Microsoft Office Access
>
>The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file xxxxxx.  It is
>already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to
>view its
>data.
>

>Detailed information:
>
>1. The database front end is based on Microsoft Access 2003. MS Access
>2003 is currently running on a Windows 2003
>32 bit Citrix server and it works fine which rules out any folder ACL
>issue
>
>2. The database back-end is running on
>Windows 2008 SQL Server
>
>3. The MDB file resides on a central network location
>
>4. The only thing required in the past to get the Application to work is
>create a ODBC SQL connection and install MS Access 2003 on Citrix Server
>
>5. User access is fine as the Application works on the old 32 bit Citrix
>system
>
>6. IIS is not installed nor is it needed
>
>7. Not a locking issue as I have up to 20 users accessing the DB from the
>old
>Citrix system at any one time.  Application only fails on Windows 2008 64
>bit system
>

>The new OS system is Windows 2008 R2 64 bit but the version of MS Access
>2003
>installed in 32 bit.  Has anyone seen a similar issues?
>
>Thanks
>Ang

>//www.freelists.org/list/thin

Met vriendelijke groet,

drs. Ben Pelzer
Senior Consultant

E-mail: Ben.Pelzer@xxxxxxxxxxx

Amerikalaan 90 - 6199 AE  Maastricht-Airport
Tel: +31 43 850 7000
Fax: +31 43 352 1718
Internet: www.openline.nl