[THIN] Microsoft Jet database engine error on Windows 2008

  • From: Angela <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 21:53:36 +1100

Hi

I have a internally built MS Access based front end application that hooks into
SQL Server backend.  The client works fine from Windows 2003 32 bit
Citrix system.  Im trying to get the App to run from a 64 bit Windows 2008
R2 Citrix Server.  I can login to the DB but get the following error:

Microsoft Office Access

The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file xxxxxx.  It is
already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its
data.

Detailed information:

1. The database front end is based on Microsoft Access 2003. MS Access 2003 is
currently running on a Windows 2003
32 bit Citrix server and it works fine which rules out any folder ACL issue

2. The database back-end is running on
Windows 2008 SQL Server

3. The MDB file resides on a central network location

4. The only thing required in the past to get the Application to work is to
create a ODBC SQL connection and install MS Access 2003 on Citrix Server

5. User access is fine as the Application works on the old 32 bit Citrix system

6. IIS is not installed nor is it needed

7. Not a locking issue as I have up to 20 users accessing the DB from the old
Citrix system at any one time.  Application only fails on Windows 2008 64
bit system

The new OS system is Windows 2008 R2 64 bit but the version of MS Access 2003
installed in 32 bit.  Has anyone seen a similar issues?

Thanks
Ang