[THIN] Re: Microsoft Extends Olive Branch to Corporate Windows NT 4.0 Users

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thethin.net" <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:21:16 -0800 (PST)

Which part of "Microsoft also changed its Custom Support Agreement to give NT
4.0 users custom support that covers fixes to vulnerabilities that are rated as
important and critical." didn't you understand?
JAK

Matt Kosht <> wrote:
Without new security hotfixes on NT 4.0 after Dec 31, 2005 this won't
matter much.

>>> jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 12/6/2004 2:18:29 PM >>>
From Wininfo Newsletter by Paul Thurrot
Microsoft Extends Olive Branch to Corporate Windows NT 4.0 Users

Although the oft-delayed end of support for Windows NT 4.0 will
arrive December 31, this week Microsoft detailed the steps its
corporate customers can take to continue receiving support for the OS.
The steps include changes to Microsoft's Custom Support Agreement,
which now adds an additional year of NT 4.0 custom support, extending
it from the original deadline to December 31, 2006.
"We are trying to provide our customers maximum flexibility as they
plan and complete their migration [from NT 4.0 to a newer Windows
Server version]," Peter Houston, senior director of Windows
Serviceability, said. "By running the offering until the end of 2006,
we are providing enterprise customers a full 10 years of service on
Windows NT 4.0 Servers. This mirrors the standard for the '5+5'
lifecycle support policy that we announced in May." Microsoft first
released NT 4.0 in July 1996; Windows Server 2003 and Windows 2000
Server on the server side and Windows XP on the desktop have since
superseded the OS.
Microsoft also changed its Custom Support Agreement to give NT 4.0
users custom support that covers fixes to vulnerabilities that are
rated as important and critical. Previously, Microsoft planned to fix
only critical vulnerabilities. Customers who want to receive support
for these fixes can now subscribe to the custom support offering for
3-month periods; previously, they had to subscribe for 6 months.
None of these changes extend support for NT 4.0 beyond Microsoft's
5+5 product lifecycle policy, but they do make NT 4.0 better conform
to that policy and give customers easier migration options. Microsoft
also said that Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5, which will begin its
last year of extended support in 2005, will follow a custom support
lifecycle that mirrors that of NT 4.0.

This Weeks Sponsor Activaeon.com
Reduce licensing costs with activAeon XA and
get one month completely free.
http://www.activaeon.com