[THIN] Re: Methodology/Baseline GPO Implementation..

  • From: "Luchette, Jon" <JLuchette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 22:09:56 -0500

Here is what I can tell you from my experience:

*
        First, a lot of this is almost a waste of time if you only have one
Citrix server, so I'll just assume you are planning on putting more in over
time.
*
        Yes, to apply the user and computer settings from within a single GPO
to an OU containing your Citrix servers is a good way of doing it.  Of course,
you'll have to use Loopback policy processing if your user accounts are not
located in the same OU in your AD.
*
        If you are going to use folder redirection, you might look into using
the Flex Profile Kit instead of using roaming profiles at all.  There are many
issues associated with roaming profiles and the flex profile kit is a great way
of avoiding them altogether.  It takes a little getting used to, but I would
recommend spending the time as it will prove worth it in the long run.
*
        As far as folder redirection is concerned, it is pretty
straightforward, especially with 2003.  The only recommendation I would give
you is to try and make sure that your Citrix server(s) have a good network
connection to the file server holding your redirected folders.  If possible
connect them both to the same switch to maximize performance; try to get them
talking at 1GB.  I wouldn't necessarily agree that redirecting appdata is a bad
idea in all environments.  I think it really depends on your application set.
We do it now without any issues at all.  It can actually be very helpful.
*
        Most of all I would recommend as much testing as possible before
implementation.

Best of luck to you!

I hope that helps,

Jon Luchette