[THIN] Metaframe XP freezing problem.

  • From: "Stuart Pittwood" <SPittwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:00:49 +0100

Hi All,

I'm hoping you can help me with a problem which is driving me and our
users insane.

We are running Metaframe XPa FR2 on Windows 2000 Sp2,

Every so often the metaframe users freeze, all the sessions will freeze
(on both servers in the farm), the CPU usage and memory usage stay quite
calm, metaframe and its tools become totally unresponsive, windows 2000
itself doesn't crash but does become quite sluggish.

We have setup performance counters on the system and they do not trap
anything unusual.

All users are running a published desktop, and apart from print jobs
nothing else is using the WAN (1Mb leased line servicing 50 metaframe
users)

This has been going on for months.  It follows no pattern, the system
will work fine for days/weeks and then suddenly this will happen up to
half a dozen times in a day.

The users are running an old 16bit app called DPS, Office 97, Outlook
2000 all via the published desktop.

Any ideas gratefully received as we are getting to the point of dumping
metaframe and going to a windows 2000 fat client system because this is
costing us tens of thousands each time it happens!

Stu

This weeks sponsor New Moon Canaveral IQ
New Moon Canaveral IQ is an intelligent
alternative to Citrix® MetaFrame ? for
delivering and managing centrally-deployed
Windows-based applications
http://www.newmoon.com