[THIN] Re: MetaFrame XPe SP3 FR2 Windows 2000 Servers crash n nightly and have to be rebooted.

  • From: Leon.Jaimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:27:21 -0700

Just wanted to pass on to everyone what our solution was.
We figured out that the problem was caused by this.
We are using thin clients that are set to auto connect to a published
desktop.
Once people logged off and went home, the published desktop would
reinitialize and make a new connection to the servers.  This would occur for
each terminal that was on, but not logged on.  This caused many instances of
WINLOGON.EXE and CSRSS.EXE.
These eventually ate the memory up on the servers until they crashed.  I
noticed in the Sessions tab for each server in the Citrix Management Console
that there were many ICA sessions with from a client, but with no user.
Our solution temporarily is to have our users power off the terminals when
they finish for the day.  We are also looking at turning off the auto
connect for the published desktop, but this has to be done from each
terminal.
If you would like more detail on this please feel free to email me off the
list.
Thanks to all who responded to this.
Leon