[THIN] Re: Memory considerations

  • From: "Bernd Harzog" <berndh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:32:23 -0500

This is going to be my last post on memory optimization (aren't you all
relieved :)).

I agree with Rick. Anything that reduces paging on a TS box is highly
advantageous. Paging is caused by three basic factors:

1). The OS pages parts of itself out that it perceives it will not need in
the immediately foreseeable future. If you can get Disable Paging Executive
to work, you can take care of this issue.

2). You can run out of working set. Any time your total virtual memory
utilization is greater than the available physical memory (10 pounds of
stuff in a 5 pound bag), the OS will use the page file as an extension of
memory. By the way, disabling the paging executive will make this worse,
since it will force the OS to stay in memory, leaving less memory available
for applications, making application paging more likely.

3) Applications comprised of DLL's will have those DLL's duplicated in
physical memory AND on the page file (two copies of the DLL for every user
of the application) if the DLL cannot be loaded at its preferred base
address (known as DLL relocations). This is the problem that RTO solved when
it invented TScale, and is the problem that the technology the Citrix has
licensed from RTO (and which will be in a "future" release of MPS) solves as
well.

The reason this is my last post on memory optimization is that as I have
mentioned before, I am no longer with RTO. Rather, I have started a new
company, APMExperts.com, which focuses upon helping all of you manage
applications performance in your Web and Citrix applications environments.
Please wander by the web site and avail yourself of the information (I hope
you find it useful, let me know if it is not) that we have up there. If you
use any of the products that are listed in the APM forum, please vote in the
polls.

Cheers,

Bernd Harzog
CEO
Applications Performance Management Experts
www.apmexperts.com
bernd.harzog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx