[THIN] Re: Matrix for Metaframe XP (ICA) and Windows 2003's Terminal Services (RDP)

  • From: Cláudio Rodrigues <Claudio.Rodrigues@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:34:11 -0400

Althoug MetaFrame has its bells and whistles, you need to remember one
thing: Terminal Services is the car. MetaFrame is the premium package.
If you do need the extra features like Published apps, Intelligent Load
Balancing, Gateway support, SecurID integration and so on, MetaFrame may
be the way to go. Keep in mind for example, New Moon's Canaveral IQ 2.0
when on top of 2003, will give you pretty much everything Citrix does.
At a much lower price. I would say 90% of the companies do not need all
the features Citrix has and/or are not using them. Also many
small/medium companies (another huge market) simply does not go for
Citrix thanks to its huge price tag.
Even my product, WTSPortal will give you Published Apps and Seamless
Windows. :-)
So the key thing here to decide which product is the way to go in your
case is which features you need or you are looking for.
The matrix I saw lists simply protocol comparisons, client support and
minor features. Not the whole thing. It is on the Microsoft website.

Cláudio Rodrigues

Microsoft MVP
Windows Technologies - Terminal Server