[THIN] Re: Mapping Drives to Specific Users..

  • From: "TSguy92 Lan" <tsguy92@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 07:29:17 -0800

It may also be worth looking into using DFS for this purpose.

Create a DFS root (domain wide or stand alone) from a windows server
(preferably a domain controller / file share server), then add "links" to
the shares off the C:\ volumes on your user's workstations. I'd suggest
making each "link name" equal to the particular user's login name.
On your terminal servers, create a basic script that runs on user login to
map:

net use 'driveletter': \\dfsroot\%username% <file://dfsroot/%25username%25>

You should be cautious with this setup to ensure that all shares and
permissions only allow the specific user / admins to reach their
personalized data.

If a user's machine name ever changes, all you need to do is adjust the DFS
link name (and of course setup the new workstation share).

yada yada...user's really shouldn't be saving important stuff to their
c:\... yada yada yada.. sry couldn't let it go ;)

HTH

Lan