[THIN] Re: Mandatory profiles

  • From: "Joe Shonk" <joe.shonk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:11:12 -0700

It happened a while ago so the details are fuzzy.  Basically, the OS was
fine until we decided to try the hotfix and then strange things started
happening.   Once it was removed, the strangeness immediately disappeared.
I suppose I could try again with the 914061 hotfix now that you mentioned
it.

Joe

On 12/13/06, J. Henske <jen.work@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Flaky in what way?  Is the mandatory profile flaky or is the OS
flaky?  Check the below and snip from a microsoft "premier offering" Q
article 914061 and see if it applies..

<snip>
SYMPTOMS
After you connect to a Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based computer that
has Terminal Server enabled, many instances of the following Error events
are logged in the System log.

*Error event 1* Event Type: Error
Event Source: SideBySide
Event ID: 59
Generate Activation Context failed for c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe.
Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your
system.
*Error event 2* Event Type: Error
Event Source: SideBySide
Event Category: None
Event ID: 32
Dependent Assembly Microsoft.Windows.SystemCompatible could not be found
and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.
  [image: Back to the top]
<https://premier.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;914061#top> Back
to the top<https://premier.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;914061#top>
CAUSE This problem occurs when you have version 5.2.3790.2426 or a more
recent version of the Winlogon.exe program installed. For example, this
problem occurs if you have applied the hotfix that is described in either of
the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
897040<https://premier.microsoft.com/kb/897040/>(
https://premier.microsoft.com/kb/897040/) A program that uses a remote
access PPP connection to a Windows Server 2003-based computer is
disconnected when the user logs off
*908011* <https://premier.microsoft.com/kb/908011/>*
(https://premier.microsoft.com/kb/908011/
) You cannot use a Group Policy setting to set the same mandatory profile
for all the Terminal Services users in Windows Server 2003 *
</snip>

We did have issues (I can't remember what exactly, I didn't work the
problem).  We have appiled both fixes and do not have any problems now.

Hope  that helps,
Jennifer Henske
Mercy Health System