[THIN] Re: MSAM question

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:11:45 -0700

It needs the two you mentioned plus log on as batch job.  Has all that and
more.  My account works, copies of my account do not.  Even after I
explicitly give the other accounts the needed rights, they still fail.  I
am now thinking that maybe there is another tie-in somewhere, like maybe to
the MF farm.
adam

                      "Braebaum, Neil"

                      <Neil.Braebaum@littlew        To:
<thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      oods.co.uk>                   cc:

                      Sent by:                      Subject:  [THIN] Re: MSAM
question
                      thin-bounce@freelists.

                      org

                      11/19/2004 07:39 AM

                      Please respond to thin

The *rights* that I'm pretty sure it needs are:

Act as part of the OS
Log on as a service

I can't think of any others that it required.

I don't currently run it, though so I can't be sure - but didn't the
install doc / setup program actually say which OS rights it needs?

I did think this was odd about the whole deal with the product - this is
a sort of higher-level, enterprise type tool - ie not a workgroup thing.
It assumes (IIRC) that you would be using a domain, and seems to expect
/ encourage that. Yet what it does regarding rights is to alter the
local security policy - which will likely get periodically overridden
and nullified by the domain security policy - and least that's the way
it was when I used it.

Just seemed something of an anomaly to me.

That and the fact that it didn't do the same sort of win32 passthru
authentication (from the current desktop credentials) that NFuse / WI
would do.

I'm pretty sure it's just a rights problem (ie not permissions, but
rights) that's causing you such problems - presumably it's the service
which at some point will fail.

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.

This Weeks Sponsor Emergent Online ThinCity Conference
Join us at ThinCity 2004: The 1st Annual Emergent OnLine Technology
Conference
http://www.ThinCity.com