[THIN] Re: MS software licenses

  • From: "Stratton, Doug MSER:EX" <Doug.M.Stratton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:26:03 -0700

I took a look at the MS Terminal Services License Basics and from that it
looks like you have to have an office license for any device that uses
office.

So I think that means your office Desktop, Your Home computer, Your Laptop
(possibly covered by "Secondary Use Document" AND ANY OTHER MACHINE YOU USE
OFFICE FROM. (4+ licenses)

So if I use a browser on a machine other than that mentioned above (on a
trip to Africa) to access my TS I have to have a license for office for that
machine.

Nothing in any of the stuff I have seen says anything about per user.  The
"Secondary Use Rights" document talks about being able to use your office PC
MS office license on a portable PC (no definition of portable, I assume they
mean laptop).  But going by the vague information in the "MS TS License
Basics" (which supersedes? the "Secondary Use Document"?) you may or many
not be able to run office via TS on the laptop without buying another
license.

This sucks.

Unless MS defines Portable PC as a Virtual Portable PC for the purposes of
using TS.

Anyway thanks for providing the info.

bye