[THIN] Re: MS licensing

  • From: Richard Dietzman <boomvader@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:42:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Adam,

Read my answers below:

--- Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Quick questions for you gurus.
>
> Can a W2k3 license server hand out licenses for w2k
> TS servers with only
> w2k3 CALs installed?  In other words, if I build a
> new license server and
> only install W2k3 TS CALs, can I still access my W2K
> TS servers?

The short answer is no.  But, it is still possible to
dole out 2k TSCals with a 2k3 server.  There are 3
different types of licenses that will allow you to do
that.  They are:

Windows 2000 TS CALs, Windows 2000 TS Internet
Connector Licenses.  Windows 2000 Built-in Licenses.

> 2nd question:  what happens to old licenses?  Is
> there a built-in scavenge
> function that returns licenses not used in X days
> back to the pool?  If so,
> does it work on both Per User and Per Device?

Yes, a TS CAL is granted with an expiration date
randomly selected between 52 & 89 days from the
current date.

Hope this helps.

-Richie

http://mail.yahoo.com
This Weeks Sponsor: triCerat Inc.
You need Day Zero Protection!
Get Proactive with triCerat's Simplify Suite.
Solve printing, security and profile problems before they occur.
http://www.tricerat.com/?thethintl2