[THIN] Re: MS Win2k TS for sole Server in small company

  • From: "Ron Jameson" <ronj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 18:20:39 -0600

Well put....that thought escaped me.  Yes, TS is a workstation and we
all know how a workstation can stay on all the time w/o a reboot (hehe).
Now if the Alpha processor was still here, I may be able to bat for
that, but for now - that will me my note to clients who need it all done
on one server.  Rebooting may be a norm with win2k servers, but add TS
to it will just make it happen more often.

Funny, I miss the alphaNT era.  I had those servers up like Unix boxes -
put them in a room and shut the light off.   With most clients, I see
the win2k servers on intel cpus tend to need a boot every so often.  Too
bad.  I have yet to put an Athlon MP in production to test it out but I
am getting goose bumps just thinking about the Athlon in a server.  As
you can tell, I am an Athlon fan at the desktop and do like them better
than Intel Px models.

Thanks for all the advise.

Ron

From: Ron Jameson [mailto:ronj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]=20
Posted At: Thursday, November 21, 2002 6:09 PM
Posted To: TheThin
Conversation: [THIN] Re: MS Win2k TS for sole Server in small company

Yes, h/w will be a variable - but what drawbacks to running a server for
a business and also making it a TS in app mode?

Scenario - typical small client....

DC file server running win2k, DNS, DHCP, Norton AV CE, Veritas BE8.6,
diskeeper.  They don't want to invest in a separate server for TS access
for the 5-10 employees (low volume use).  If I install TS in app mode, I
would now need to install office and any programs they need for the 10
users to access. =20

I see the security risk if open due to the files being on the server and
not thru a share to another data server, but technically (beyond the
security), this can be done?  I am trying to find the answer to many
clients I am pitching this thin client idea when they say, can I do this
all on a single server rather than two.

Thanks for the insight.  I get spoiled at the main office here running 5
servers with different duties...but when many clients ask what I think
is pushing the limits, they want proof.

Ron