[THIN] Re: MS Win2k TS for sole Server in small company

  • From: "Dean Theophilou" <dino7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:12:50 -0800

Something that you seriously consider is getting a dual processor machine.
According to the TS literature I've read, such a machine can handle twice as
many users as a single processor machine.  Also, with a dual processor
machine, you don't really need to get the latest and greatest CPU.  In fact,
for the size of the installation you mention, a 1 GHz dual processor machine
can definitely do the job.

At one of my sites, I have a single 1.8 GHz machine running TS, DNS, that
also functions as a file server, DC, tape backup, etc., for about 10 users
and it works great.  The only two things it is not running is IIS and DHCP
(DHCP in a 10-user environment is not only a waste of computer resources
but, more importantly, a waste of my management time).

Security, of course, is another issue.  Anyway, that's my $1.50 (used to be
$0.02, but inflation has been factored in).

Dean Theophilou

you may not use, copy, or disclose to anyone the message or any information
contained in the message.  If you have received the message in error, please
advise the sender by e-mail reply to dino7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, and then delete
the message.