[THIN] Re: MS Win2k TS for sole Server in small company

  • From: "Alexander Danilychev" <teknica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:38:58 -0800

Hi Ron,

The answer is YES(!).

I understand that everyone might like to split all apps into different
servers and spend some money, however people that were in this business when
dual Pentium Pro x200 were considered the state of the art will tell you:
YES you do not (in most cases) need 8CPU box to
support 10 users.
YES you can run database server on the same box.
YES you can do some crazy things and get things
working when you customer is on a budget - this is
what consultants are for.

Be careful, install clean, know what you are doing, but for a small office
this will work. Make sure you use DUAL CPU system with hardware RAID (Mirror
is usually the easiest) with a hot spare.

I have deployed dual P2x400 HP servers for medical offices with 25
concurrent users running Office and custom Sybase apps (the same box) with
ArcServe - they are in production for 4+ years on TSE and MetaFrame 1.8.

Remember, that concurrent user count will tax memory when you have users
with "idle" habits and CPU when users are very active but are not opening a
bunch of heavy applications.

Good luck. Post at this user group if you need some specifics. There are a
lot of good guys that will help you independently of your customers budget -
32 CPUs or 2(!).

Make sure NO SINGLE CPU SERVERS, REAL RAID and about 1GB of ECC RAM.

ALEX

ALEX