[THIN] Re: MS Win2k TS for sole Server in small company

  • From: "Ron Jameson" <ronj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:08:50 -0600

Yes, h/w will be a variable - but what drawbacks to running a server for
a business and also making it a TS in app mode?

Scenario - typical small client....

DC file server running win2k, DNS, DHCP, Norton AV CE, Veritas BE8.6,
diskeeper.  They don't want to invest in a separate server for TS access
for the 5-10 employees (low volume use).  If I install TS in app mode, I
would now need to install office and any programs they need for the 10
users to access.

I see the security risk if open due to the files being on the server and
not thru a share to another data server, but technically (beyond the
security), this can be done?  I am trying to find the answer to many
clients I am pitching this thin client idea when they say, can I do this
all on a single server rather than two.

Thanks for the insight.  I get spoiled at the main office here running 5
servers with different duties...but when many clients ask what I think
is pushing the limits, they want proof.

Ron