[THIN] MS Licensing of Office

  • From: "Malcolm Joosse" <malcolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:18:16 +1000

I need some clarification on a specific issue we have with a client.

They have a NT4Terminal server with 30 users and will be upgrading to =
Win2k TSE.  They only have a 15 user license for MS Office 97 which they =
are happy to keep using, the problem is Microsoft said that they MUST =
have 30 MS Office licenses because it is a Terminal Server and 30 people =
have the potential to use it.
My question is, if they only have 15 (or less) users that need MS Office =
do they really have to get 30 Office licenses ?
If the 15 non Office users have no shortcuts to any MS Office =
applications is this good enough to prove they do not use it ?
We are very flustered by M$ attitude to Terminal server and licensing of =
MS Software on this platform.  We have 30 W2k CALs and 30 TSE CALs, but =
getting 15 more Office CALs for people who will never use it seems to be =
a huge waste of money.
I just want to here from others who may have been told the same as me or =
who have found a different story as I can get 2 different opinions from =
M$ about the same question.
TIA
Malcolm
This weeks sponsor - RTOSoft TScale