[THIN] Re: MS Access

  • From: "Matt Kosht" <matt.kosht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <david_turman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:38:53 -0500

Why not try MySQL?  Much better multi-user performance than Access and
costs $0.  Developer could still use their VB or something
(Perl/PHP/Python).  It has an ODBC driver to you use so pretty much
anything will work with it on the front end (even MS Access as Client).

http://www.mysql.com/

There are tools to convert the .MDB to the MySQL format too.

>>> david_turman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 3/3/2004 1:15:45 PM >>>

        Warning - Slightly OT content

        I have a developer that is writing some code with an Aceess
2002
database backend.
        They are using this database mainly to track changes and
modifications of a project.
        Now I know that Access sucks as a multi-user database, but
there is
no money for
        this particualy thing to be put on SQL. They can have up to 40
people hitting this
        database at any given time. They are having alot of problems
with
the database getting
        corrupt. I set the server the database site on to disable
Oppurtunistic Locking
        as Microsoft suggests, but to no avail. A new user tries to log
in
and they get the message
        that the database is corrupt. The database is about 1/2 a gig!

This weeks sponsor triCerat Inc.
triCerat makes your job easier by offering essential
applications to eliminate your printing, policy and profile,
and your application management problems.
http://www.triCerat.com