[THIN] Re: MF 1.8 & 2003

  • From: "Rick Fogarty" <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 08:16:48 -0500

>> MSTSC /v:servername /console command.

How sweet is this!!!

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Rob Slayden
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 5:37 PM
To: 'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: [THIN] Re: MF 1.8 & 2003

Yup! Currently tweaking and tuning 5 Windows 2003 servers with MFXP 1.0
SP3/FR3. Three of the servers are HP BL20P blades and 2 are older (retired)
Compaq ProLiant DL580 servers. I can't provide any performance
characteristics yet because we are just barely into Pilot and I am still
busy fine-tuning. We also deployed 2 BL20P servers as a new File and Print
cluster to support this new farm, also on Windows 2003 (not much difference
in the cluster world over NT and 2000). We have an older 27-server NT 4.0 MF
1.8 farm that supports 3000-3500 users. It was a little tricky setting up
the policies for Office 2003 with an NT 4.0 domain, but we worked it out
using a centrally stored NTCONFIG.POL separate from the NTCONFIG.POL used by
the existing 3000+ users. We did not want to risk any issues loading the
2003 administrative templates into the primary policy file. We created a
separate one with all the additional 2003 policy templates and configured a
manual path to it.

One really w-a-a-a-y kewl feature of Windows 2003 terminal services is the
ability to be "on the console" with the MSTSC /v:servername /console
command. I have rarely had to leave my desk in the configuration of the
servers. It beats standing in front of a rack of servers in  a cold data
center for several hours!! I can't wait to get all my MF servers upgraded
next year to Windows 2003 and MFXP 1.0.

rob
24 Hour Fitness

  _____