[THIN] Re: Looking for your Original/Innovative uses for Citrix for a presentation I am doing

  • From: "Adam Granatella" <granatella.adam@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:31:17 -0500

I've told a few people about the project I'm about to describe, and I
usually just get blank stares.  A few years ago I was working for a
large financial firm with 800+ Windows servers, and no Citrix.  Two
items came together to the same solution: 1) The boss wanted to bring
Citrix into the company, and 2) a security audit.  Stay with me here, it
gets interesting.

For some quick background, I was an admin for Windows based servers.
Our team was responsible for the hardware and OS, and not much else.  We
had about 30 terminal servers, and a very large VMWare deployment
(largest in the country at the time, ESX 1.5).  Most of the servers had
an application support team that dealt with everything application
related.  We built the box/VM, patched it, etc., added the app support
team to the local admins, and gave them the box.  They were in charge of
installation/configuration/maintenance of their own applications.  Most
accessed their boxes via RDP, some had physical console access, and some
had console access via VMWare.

The security audit dictated that we remove all local Administrator
access, and all console (physical and RDP) access.  The tool chosen to
do this by management was Citrix.

Fortunately for me, this project only got about half-way through the
test phase before it was derailed again, and I ended up taking another
job, so I didn't get back into it.  What this meant though, was that
every server would have Citrix installed on it.  All application support
team functions were to be presented via published applications.  This
meant a lot of custom scripting, all sorts of strange registry and
permission hacks to get "Admin-only" applications to run as normal
users, and just a big mess of configuration.  Every server was
different.

It makes for great jaw-dropping looks when I go into details about how
everything was supposed to work though!

Adam