[THIN] Long Usernames

  • From: Jason Patten <pattenj@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:57:37 -0400

I have run across an interesting problem with Terminal server. Due to the
nature of our service, the usernames we hand out are often large, sometimes
right to the character limit that NT allows.  I have noticed however that
(and this is starting to occur more frequently) if you have 18 or more
characters in the username, it can cause the Server to have a DR Watson
error in the Termserv.exe.  Once this starts happening with a username it
occurs EVERY time the user logs on.  We have had this happen several times
now with different users and it can  quickly take out all the servers in the
farm.  They will log in and the session will drop or disconnect (usually due
to a flaky dial-up, the server will dr. Watson locking it up, and the user
will log in again, and again till all the servers are down.  I have only
seen this happen with logins of 18-20 chars, and re-adjusting the login name
down to 16chars or less appears to fix the issue.
We are running NT4 SP6 with post SP6 ICA fix and MF 1.8 SP2.

Has anyone run across this before and any ideas on how to keep it from
happening again? Aside from auditing every login for length and changing it.
(We have about 1000 users)
(about 150 on at any one time)

Jason

"Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready photon torpedoes and lock phasers on the
Heffalump", Piglet, meet me in transporter room three".