[THIN] Re: Limits of Latency

  • From: "Jan Broucinek" <tinybeetle@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:35:40 -0400

OK Geek, I stand corrected. : )  However I was not thinking of LEOS
(Low Earth Orbiting Satellites) when I wrote my reply. LEOS creates a
whole new problem with hand-off since they are not stationary. That
hand-off will most likely be quite unfriendly to Citrix sessions in
the same way that 1XRT cellular networks are when I'm in the car
trying to use my Citrix connection while someone is driving.

And I think your 250ms is a one-way trip, not round trip. Below is an
excerpt from http://www.sisp.net/broadband/satellite.htm

 Q: Why is the latency so high?

 A: The way a satellite stays in orbit, without using any type of
engine or rocket to correct its orbit, is to gain a balance between
gravity and centrifugal force. The closer to earth, the greater the
gravity pulling the bird toward earth. The faster it moves the greater
the force pulling it away from the earth. It turns out that there is a
spot, about 22,300 miles above the equator, where the speed an object
must travel to gain equilibrium against gravity is exactly the same as
the speed the earth is turning. By placing a satellite in this spot,
its relative position above the earth stays constant. Satellites used
for broadband internet and TV must stay in one place in the sky so
that you can point your dish in one spot and get the signal. The only
other alternative would be to have a constellation of satellites in a
lower orbit, that would rise and fall like the sun and stars. There
would need to be enough of these flying that there was always one
overhead, which requires a lot of satellites, a lot of infrastructure,
and therefore a lot of money.

In the case of a two-way satellite system, when you request something
by clicking on a link, or any other way, that message travels 44,600
miles just to get to the NOC. The stuff coming back to you must travel
the reverse route, so the round trip is 89,200 miles. The speed of
light is 186,000 miles per second in a VACUUM, slower through the
atmosphere. But even if you assumed 186,000 mps then the total time
taken in space travel is about 480ms. Given the atmosphere problem, it
is actually more like 500ms. Add to that the terrestrial internet
latency, which should be about 100ms. Also you can add delays through
transponders, gateways, proxies, etc.