[THIN] Licensing server in AD

  • From: "Joe Mulhall" <Joe.Mulhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:14:37 +0000

Msg: #42 in digest
Subject: [THIN] Re: TSL Service
Hi and thanks in advance,

This is kind of following up on Ron's comment below from the TSL thread, =
but I've read about this requirement from several sources.

I've recently removed the last NT4 DC in my AD migration.  The license =
server is still on one of the Citrix (Win2K member) servers rather than a =
DC, but no errors have occured.

What are the details of this neccessity if it is one?

Will I only have a problem when a new license needs issuing?

Also in moving it to a DC, I assume some DNS entries will need to be made. =
I use a non-BIND 8.1.2 compliant DNS server (Novell) and so need to make =
entries manually. Any idea what these would be for the licensing server?

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:23:50 -0600
From: "Ron Oglesby" <roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Once you go to a windows 2K Ad domain (mixed mode or not) you will need
to move your TS license service to a 2K DC (if the TS servers ore in the
2K domain)

The easiest way I have found is simply to create a new database and get
new Licenses by calling MS. But you can backup and restore the lic DB
and there is an article at technet on how to do it (or if you have Brian
madden's latest book it is in there too).

Anyway I'm really glad that in windows 2003 Server they have changed
this and the Lic service can be on any server, and you can configure
your TS boxes to discover it or point them to a specific one (all via
GPO)

Ron

Ron Oglesby
Senior Technical Architect
=3D20
RapidApp
Office 312.372.7188
Mobile 312.961.2380
email roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx
=3D20

This Week's Sponsor: New Wyse(R) Expedian(TM)software maximizes your server
capacity--cost-effectively. Now you can dramatically increase the number of
users on a server by as much as 40%--and reduce the number of servers you have
to manage. By optimizing memory usage, Wyse Expedian software allows the
terminal server to support more applications and more concurrentusers. Download
your 30-day free trial today at:
http://www.wyse.com/expedian/eval.cfm?promo=US-Ad-0103TheThinNetNewsletterEM